Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Just Want to Make Love to You

England’s Newest Hitmakers

Side 1, Track 3

"I Just Want to Make Love to You" (Willie Dixon) – 2:17

Another blues classic – I think this one was already a standard by the time the Stones got to it. The original Muddy Waters version was slow and insistent with an air of menace running through it. At this point in his career, Mick can't really do menace – so the band double-times the tempo and turns the song into a Bo Diddley-style sexual come-on, complete with maracas. More excellent rhythm/lead guitar work from Keith.


Yet another lame harmonica part – I get the feeling that's not the last time I'll have to say those words. This one suffers further in comparison to Little Walter's sublime performance on the original. Man, that guy could really play.




0 comments: