Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Beginning

Here’s the deal: I came across a disk with MP3 rips of 30 different Rolling Stones albums, from England’s Newest Hitmakers! to Bridges to Babylon. It’s been a while since I gave the band much thought – they lost me permanently at Steel Wheels, but to tell the truth, I would have argued that their last good studio album was the 35-year-old Exile on Main Street.


However, I kept running across songs here and there that made me wonder if I dismissed them too easily: “Almost Hear You Sigh” was a neat little melody, some unknown song from Voodoo Lounge captured my attention at a bar five years ago, “Harlem Shuffle” didn’t seem to annoy me as much upon a recent re-listening.


So, in the interests of fairness (to myself – the Stones have no need of any consideration from a lowly blogger like me), I am going to go through all these songs, somewhat in order, posting comments as I listen. Hopefully I’ll be able to re-discover some long-forgotten favourites, dig up some unknown (to me) treasures, and maybe even find some terrible songs that can entertain instead of simply annoy. (I’m guessing the latter is the most likely outcome. We’ll see.)


0 comments: