Thursday, May 1, 2008

Yesterday's Papers

Between the Buttons (USA Version)
Side 1, Track 2
"Yesterday's Papers" – 2:04






Jesus.

Friend of the blog Ron Littlejohn warned me about the upcoming psychedelia on this album. I didn't listen. I said, hey, bad songs are easier to write about than good songs. A pile of steaming shit in the form of misogynistic, harpsichord-driven Stones songs would be great! Think of the snarkable bits! My god, the snark!

Jumping Jesus Fishburne, was I wrong. I can't think of a single interesting thing to say about "Yesterday's Papers". I can't think of a single dull thing to say about "Yesterday's Papers". I wish now that I'd never heard it. The fact that this is only the second track on this album is causing me to tremble before the darkness. The knowledge that after this I still have Their Satanic Majesties Request is starting to fill my soul with a blind panic. I fear not only for my well being, but for the continued existence of Blogging the Stones.

Pray for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember when I was at the peak of my Stones faze in high school.
They could do no wrong. Until I bought "between the buttons".
The best part was, I assumed since it was an early record it would be fantastic. Jesus was I wrong.
Albums like this make "Undercover" look awesome. Terrible piece of shit record. SKIP IT We'll understand!

Nanker said...

There comes a time in every man's life when he's got to look deep within himself and ask whether he has the pebbles to get the job done. Does that man have the will, the strength, the singleminded drive to listen, in its entirety to Between the Buttons -- an album as shit-strewn as a porta-potty on the Titanic? Well, I did that. And the answer was "maybe". The next song is an easy one. Then the pain starts.