Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky (From Now On)

I'll be throwing in some non-Rolling Stones, although Stones-related, posts here and there. Apparently, I'm also throwing in the occaisional non-Rolling Stones and Stones-unrelated posts too. This won't happen often, I promise.




Lou Donaldson
"Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky (From Now On)" (Allen Toussaint) – 5:30
(That's Lee Dorsey on the vocals.)



Jason Heller has a nice piece today at the AV Club on the funk music played by jazz artists, and how it is marginalised by jazzheads as inconsequential ephemera. I have nothing to add to what he said, except to note that I hate the jazz (and jazzheads for that matter), but love the funk. But I want to thank Heller for reminding me of this great 1969 track, which I first heard on some Blue-Note-does-Soul! comp many years ago and not nearly often enough since.




Lou Donaldson

0 comments: