Friday, June 13, 2008

Salt of the Earth

Beggars Banquet
Track 10
"Salt of the Earth" – 4:51









A kick ass album that goes out on a whimper. I liked this song a lot more when the Stones recorded it as "You Can't Always Get What You Want" – but even then, I didn't like it all that much.

The problem is Mick. He is a man who cannot get away with singing lines like,

Let's drink to the hard working people,
Let's drink to the lowly of birth.
It's impossible to take Mick seriously when he sings those words, knowing what we know about him and his cocaine and jet-set entourage. Gives me the same angry feeling I get when I hear Bono talk about the starving people in Africa – don't you just want to punch him in the taint? How's about you just shut the fuck up and count your money, okay? Jesus, you just finished songs about riots in the streets and sex with underage girls – don't give me this salt of the earth bullshit, please? God fucking dammit.

0 comments: