Monday, April 7, 2008

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Out of Our Heads (USA version)
Side 2, Track 1
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) – 3:43




Boring.

No, really, it's just hard to say something about this one that hasn't been said before. Great lyrics, Charlie Watts four on the floor, the tambourine, fuzz guitar lick, the bass line that duplicates it a fourth lower – the ingredients of a pretty good rock and roll single, no?

And as much as I love Exile-era Stones, there's a case to be made for 1965 as their creative peak. "Satisfaction" was released as a single in the middle of one of the greatest three-song runs in rock and roll history, preceded by "The Last Time" and followed by "Get Off My Cloud" – maybe Chuck Berry or Little Richard could top that, but I'm pretty sure no one else could. Of course, after "Get Off My Cloud" came "As Tears Go By", and it was all downhill from there.



0 comments: