Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Doncha Bother Me

Aftermath (USA version)
Side 1, Track 5
"Doncha Bother Me" – 2:41



Yet another blues shuffle, this time featuring a supremely annoying slide figure that repeats just often enough to make me reach for the fast forward button.

Yes, that is an anachronism.

I have to get this out of the way: a friend challenged my objectivity, claiming that I liked maybe four or five of the 91 Stones songs I have gone through. It has to be more than that – I've liked every chuck Berry number, and the Stones have at least five of those alone, right? But more to the point, I would like a lot more of the Stones' material if they avoided these pointless blues exercises. I suppose a case could be made that they served a higher purpose once – i.e. bringing the music of rural black American musicians to jaded white hipsters – but blues music today (certainly blues music performed by white British musicians) is merely a cliche, and I am not inclined to cut these people any slack, even retroactively.

Now edited for grammer and spleling. Note to self: CTRL-P = Post, CTRL-D = Draft.

0 comments: