Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bruce Springsteen - "She's the One" (non-stones)

Sorry for the light posting over the last couple of days. I was away for work and had to stay longer than planned – my scheduled posts ran out before I did.


Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
"She's the One" (live)


I was in Houston and got a chance to see Bruce Springsteen at the Toyota Center on Monday, April 14th. This is the fourth time I've seen him on this tour, and this is the best show I've seen so far. The sound at the arena was great, I had awesome seats, the crowd was enthusiastic, and let's face it: Springsteen is incapable of putting on a bad show. He has a few songs that are surefire crowd destroyers, songs that will knock the audience down flat with a single blow. I saw him perform one of these songs, "She's the One" that night, and really, even if that was the only song I saw I would have left a happy man.

"She's the One" is off Springsteen's Born to Run album, a Bo Diddley update with great lyrics and an interesting bridge before the killer sax solo. It's a pretty good recording, but it's one of those songs that sounds a million times better live, when you get to hear it without the studio precision and Wall of Sound production on the album recording. The best live version I've heard is from the show at London's Hammersmith Odeon in November 1975.



Doesn't get much better than that.

This post is in memory of Danny Federici, the E Street Band's long time organist, who died on April 17th.



0 comments: